Wednesday, May 25, 2011

End of the School Year

I know... I've been a lousy blogger lately. I've been slacking and I have no good excuse. Or maybe, I was just waiting until I had plenty to talk about? :) But whatever the case, we are at the end of another month. Most of May was pretty quiet but things are starting to pick up as we head into summer.

On Friday, May 6th, AJ took his choir to Large Group contest in Elk Horn, Iowa. I was able to go along on this event. I am proud to say that the Riverside Choir earned a Division II rating!! This was a big improvement over last year's score and I know AJ and his kids were all very excited! That next week, AJ had his last middle school concert of the year and that always went great! My mom actually came down to save the day as AJ found himself without a piano player! And she did great! After the concert, AJ received a number of compliments on the program and how much improvement parents, staff and school board members had seen from the previous year. And you could tell that those kids just love AJ! :) We actually created a Facebook fan page for the Riverside Music Program that can be found here if you're interested! We have been posting updates along with pictures from the different events. Maybe we'll even get some videos up there!

For some other exciting news, AJ has found a summer job!! And I'm not really sure who is more excited, me or him. :) He will be teaching summer school at the Salvation Army in Omaha for the summer. This should be a great experience for him! Unfortunately, he doesn't get much of a break as he starts on May 31st, but I think he'll still enjoy it. His last day of school with the kids is May 25th and then he just has a day of professional development and a clean-up day for his office/classroom. It's hard to believe that AJ has finished his first year teaching. It has been an amazing year - even if it was a little bit of a roller-coaster at times. I am so proud of him for all he has accomplished this year and am really excited to watch as he continues to grow the music program at Riverside. I'm pretty sure they're all excited too!

This past Saturday, AJ and I headed up to see Amanda and Taylor and help them out in their new home! We were put to work as soon as we got there, sanding, taping and painting the upstairs bedrooms. We had a lot of fun while we were there and it was great to see them! We also made sure we got some quality time in with our clans-baby who is as cute as ever! After that, AJ headed back home while I headed up to Minnesota for the weekend. AJ had to be home for Riverside's graduation on Sunday as well as school Monday and Tuesday. I took some vacation time so I could enjoy some of my brother's last events.

On Sunday, Dan had his last piano recital. And he rocked it. It amazes me how good he is. It was a pretty big event since his piano teacher, Mary Ann was also my sister's teacher, my teacher and even my mom's piano teacher! With Dan and I both having 11 years of piano, Meg having 10 and my mom having about the same, we estimated that Mary Ann had given our family close to 1200 lessons over the years! She has made a huge difference in each of our lives. And on Monday, Dan had his last high school choir concert. Again it was a great concert and fun to see the choir director again after so long! It really made me miss my high school choir days! :)

That's about it for our updates right now. The next couple of weeks will be pretty busy and we're looking forward to being able to spend some times with both sides of our families!

No comments:

Post a Comment