Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Stormy Adventure

8/10/10

This summer has been a summer of storms! And both AJ and I love storms! However, many of the major storms kept missing us and we were always disappointed. Don't get me wrong, we hate the damage storms can cause, but we love the cool factor of them! The clouds, the rain, the lightening, the thunder - we love it all. After the past couple of storms though, I think AJ and I have both had our fair share of summer storms. 

A couple of nights ago AJ was hanging out in Ames with a friend when a storm came through. He decided to wait it out for a while and then once it looked like it had cleared up, he hit the road home to Council Bluffs. On the way however, he ran into another storm. He pulled off to the side of the road on an exit until it would lighten up. He said the rain was coming down so hard it couldn't hear himself talk and the wind was shaking his car so hard from both sides, he swears the rear of the car was moved some! He called freaked out!! And I don't blame him! He said, for all the complaining I do about missing all the cool storms,  I'm keeping my mouth shut from now on! Luckily, the storm passed and he made it home safely. 


Then tonight, Abbi and I were in Waterloo shopping and when we were on our way back to Grundy Center, we could see a huge storm coming. It was 86 degrees when we left Target. We literally drove into the storm and the dark clouds surrounded the car. We were loving it. It was still light enough outside we could see all the cool clouds and lightning. And boy, it was starting to lightning a lot! We decided to pull over so we could take some pictures and watch the lightning. We saw this HUGE bolt of lightning that stayed for a few seconds! It was crazy! However, after we took some pictures, the wind had picked up and the temp was now 78 degrees. We decided to hit the road and continue to Grundy Center. Soon it started to rain, lightly at first and then it eventually was coming down in sheets. It was blowing right towards the front of my car and at times I couldn't even see the front of my car! We pulled over a couple different times because it was raining so hard. By this time it was dark and the lightning was so bright it was going from daylight to the darkness over and over again. It was freaking my eyes out! And of course it was only making it harder to drive. Finally we pulled into someone's driveway just to get off the road for awhile. After that, Abbi took over driving the rest of the way and we finally made it back to Grundy Center. Then once we got here, we had to get all of our bags from shopping inside the house. It took us two trips and needless to say we were soaked! 

All in all, it was quite the adventure but I'd be okay if it never happened again! I'll be more than happy to experience that type of storm from the comfort of my own home next time, rather than in a car on the side of a country road. However, we did get some cool pictures! :) 







No comments:

Post a Comment