Thursday, April 21, 2011

Death isn't a scary thing

I just finished reading a wonderful book called "Heaven is for Real". It is the true story of one little boy's trip to heaven and back. The book caught my eye at Barnes and Noble and I couldn't not buy it. For some reason, death has always fascinated me.

I don't want to give too much of the story away and I really think that everyone should read this book. You're free to borrow my copy even! But in this book, a four year old boy has to go in for an emergency surgery and throughout the following months and even years, he starts to share with his parents about his amazing journey to heaven during his surgery. He talks about meeting Jesus and how much Jesus loves the children. The greatest thing about this book is that it gives you an insight into the belief of a child - the most pure and innocent belief there is. God talks about how you must have the faith of a child to enter heaven, and in this book, you start to understand why.

Growing up, whenever I was asked what my biggest fear was, it was never death. I was never afraid of dying. And that was because I knew that something greater was waiting for me after I die. You hear about this amazing place that God has created for us. And that He sent His son to die for us, so that we can enjoy that eternal life. How could you be afraid of that? My friends and I use to joke in high school about how excited we were to one day be able to frolic down the streets of heaven paved of gold.

In college, I was fortunate enough to take a course taught by the college pastor (and the man that married AJ and I), Pastor Trachte (PT). This was probably one of the most popular religion courses on campus. Throughout the class we discussed how death is viewed in a number of cultures, visited a funeral home, read books, interviewed other people and heard stories of death and dying. One of the most memorable parts of this class was when another Wartburg professor came to speak to our class. He told us that during a surgery, he had visited heaven. He talked about the hundreds of people he saw, the colors that were indescribable and what it was like coming back to earth.

Hearing these stories or reading these books, you can't help but wonder - 'how can this not be real?' It also reaffirms the idea that one day we will see those who we love once again. Being able to be reunited with our family and friends - what a wonderful thought. Knowing that even though they've left us here on earth, they're still watching us from above.

A couple of summers ago, AJ and I were up in Northern Minnesota for a wedding. On our way back to Iowa, I really wanted to stop in the cities to visit my Grandma's grave. My grandma had passed away when I was out in Colorado. In fact my family had just made it back to Minnesota before she passed after dropping me off in Colorado. Because I was out there I was unable to make it back for the burial. And even though I did make it back for the memorial service, I had this guilt. I felt guilty about not being there when she passed. I felt guilty for almost making my dad not be by his mom's side or to be there with his dad and the rest of his family. I felt guilty. And I carried that guilt for a long time.
So I was determined to visit her grave so that I could properly say good-bye and to also introduce her to AJ. When we got there, we had a really hard time finding her grave and the computers at the cemetery to help you were all out of order. Finally, my uncle was able to direct us to the correct area and we found her. I finally had the chance to introduce her to AJ and then he went back to the car so I could have a couple of minutes. I'm not sure I could tell you know what I said to here that day, but I remember what I felt. I felt the tears coming and apologizing for my guilt. But at that moment, I felt lighter. I felt free. I know that was my Grandma telling me it was okay and that I needed to let it go. It was an amazing feeling.

Once we left the cities, we drove back down to Waterloo. Throughout our drive, there were storms and tornadoes all around us. Luckily we had timed things just right and we missed all the major storms. I know without a doubt that was my Grandma making sure we would make it back safely. How great is it to know that our loved ones are taking care of us like that?! That is a day I will never forget.

I had this post written a long time ago but I figured it would be an appropriate Good Friday post. To me, Good Friday is what makes all of Lent and the Easter story real. For me, Good Friday seems to have the most "human" components of the entire story. Maybe it's because on Good Friday, Jesus goes through the most inhumane acts of pain, humiliation, torture and finally death. Maybe Good Friday makes it all real because when I was in high school at a Christian retreat, we walked through a "live" Stations of the Cross. Seeing each station portrayed in front of you, hearing the banging of nails to the cross and the mourning cries from Mary and Jesus' mother... it makes it real. 

If you haven't had the chance to ever see a "live" version of the Stations of the Cross, I suggest you do it. Or finding a showing of the Passion Play. Or maybe rent the movie, 'Passion of Christ'. (Here is a YouTube video I found, if you're interested) Being able to see the events, processing them, it makes you think. Think about what Jesus must have gone through. What He did for us. For me. For you. And because He did this for us, we don't have to fear death.

No comments:

Post a Comment