Thursday, December 14, 2017

Coming to an end...

It's hard to believe that 2017 is coming to an end already! I definitely plan to do a recap of the whole year, but for now, let me catch you up on things since my last update post. 

I survived working at Fun.com for the Halloween season. I think it was harder on Jacob this year, having me gone so much. He was so excited when I told him I wouldn't have to go to work at night anymore. While I love the extra money, I might have to reconsider doing it again next year, or at least cut back some of my hours. 

Speaking of Halloween, Jacob went as a dinosaur to school and then, because he didn't want to take that costume off, a Dinosaur/Frank the Combine for trick-or-treating. Ha! I managed to finish the Frank the Combine costume, with some help from my parents on the final touches. It was indeed A LOT of work. And I probably made it too big because Jacob would only wear it for a while at a time before wanting a break! I think I've learned my lesson and will just be buying a costume from now on. :) 

Jacob of course clocked in as much time as he could on the combine again this fall. Something he never gets tired of. We also got some family pictures done and I absolutely love how they turned out! 

November came and went pretty quickly. Things at Eide Bailly are definitely keeping me busy. I was able to go to the YWCA Women's Leadership Conference at the beginning of the month and really enjoyed that experience. I also spent a full Saturday-Sunday-Wednesday singing at all the church services so let's just say I really got the sermon that week. :) 

I got myself a new tattoo - something I had been thinking about for a long time, but really decided what I wanted just this past year. I have the words "Let God" on the inside of my wrist. My daily reminder to let go of those things I can't control and to let God take control. It is the thing I struggled with most this past year. 

I also hit a deer and totaled my "new" car. That was an awful experience but I'm thankful it wasn't any worse. I have finally bought a new car (the exact same one as my old car, only different color and with more miles). It's been quite the learning experience dealing with insurance and warranties and car loans. When all is said and done, I'll still owe about $1500 on the old car loan which hurts, but could be worse. 

Megan came down for a week of vacation and Thanksgiving and it was super great having her around. Jacob LOVES his aunt Megan! Thanksgiving was good - we ate out in the barn at the Butternut farm, which was super fun. And of course, good food! 

The following weekend, Jacob went up north with my mom and dad to visit Meg and spend a couple days at a resort near Duluth. I think even with Jacob, they had a pretty relaxing time. :) 

Jacob is still a ball of energy. He seriously never slows down. He's still enjoying preschool and not only is he learning a lot academically, he's learning how to play with other kids his own age. We've been discussing this a lot at home recently. As an only child, he's use to playing by himself or playing with grown-ups. At daycare, most of the kids are younger. It is a learning experience for him to know how to interactively play with other kids and doing things like taking turns. 

He still loves to learn. He still comes home singing songs. He loves to count and often wants to count all the way to 100! He loves asking us "what does this say" on a book or a sign. He likes to ask "what does ______ start with?" and together, we figure out the answer. He still likes writing letters and even some numbers but coloring or drawing still isn't high on the list. He still loves for us to read him stories but he also likes to take books and read to himself. It's super adorable and I hope his love of reading continues. He also still loves all things dinosaurs, tractors, trucks, cars, bugs... typical boy things. :) 

Some things have been hard. Due to a number of reasons, Jacob was spending too much time on the tablet and we needed to cut some screen time out. Thankfully, we were able to start that the week Megan was down and having her around really helped make this easier. We've also been struggling at bedtime. Again, there are a number of reasons why this is probably happening but it's exhausting to say the least. 

But for the most part, Jacob is a healthy and happy kid. He continues to be the joy of my life. He is funny and smart and adorable. :) 

I think that's about it for now. Watch for my year recap soon! 




No comments:

Post a Comment