Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Shepherd me O God

April 27, 2010

I think the service at church on Sunday was prepared just for us. It was just what we needed (I needed) to hear after making a certain life-changing decision. :) The choir sang the Psalm for the service. It was actually a hymn (Hymn #780 from the new red hymnal for you Lutherans out there). The chorus went like this:

Shepherd me O God, beyond my wants, beyond my fears, from death into life.

The stanzas in between the chorus were parts from Psalm 23 - which was the Psalm printed up in the bulletin insert.

But the chorus from the hymn was exactly what we asked God to do for us this past week as we made our decision. Shepherding us beyond our wants and beyond our fears. It could have been very easy for me to say I wanted to stay at my job and not leave the Cedar Valley - the place where we've lived for the past six years (if you include college). It was what I knew. What I was comfortable with. Those were my wants. My fears. But I needed God to help me see beyond that. And that's what He did.

And that's what we need Him to continue to do - as I search for a new job. As we look for a place to live. As we take this step in our lives. Together. With God. We need to move beyond our comfort. This is the place where God leads us. Or in our case, leading us to Council Bluffs, IA. :)

Trust and guidance. This is what we ask God to give us. To put our trust in Him and let Him guide us.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
The LORD makes me lie down in green pastures and leads me beside still waters.
You restore my soul, O LORD, and guide me along right pathways for your name's sake.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil and my cup is running over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Psalm 23:1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment